Two men threatened a UCLA student with a gun and stole his iPhone late Wednesday night, according to campus police.
The student was walking in the North Village area, near the intersection of Midvale and Ophir Drive, a crime alert says. Just before 11 p.m. two men approached him from behind. One held a gun to the back of his head and told him to hand over his iPhone. The second man hit the student's head with an unknown object and the student gave up his phone. The two men then left the scene in a dark car that was parked on Ophir Drive near the Midvale intersection.
The suffered a "minor bump on the top of the head," and the incident is under investigation. The suspects are described as follows:
- Suspect 1 (who was carrying the gun, according to reports): male, black, about 20 years old, 5'8", 160 lbs. wearing a dark hoodie and beanie, shorts and white socks.
- Suspect 2: male, black, unknown age and weight, 5'8-10", wearing brown shorts.
- Two black female associates, no other information.
To read the complete crime alert, click here.
From UCLA Police:
UCLA PD would like to remind the community of the following safety tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings – do not allow yourself to be distracted by music, cellphones, etc.
- Avoid walking alone when possible – CSO Escort services are available on and around campus between dusk and 1 a.m. by calling (310) 794-9855(WALK). After 1 a.m., walk in groups or consider arranging other transportation.
- Walk and park in well lit areas when possible.
- Always dial 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency; For non-emergencies, program the UCLA PD dispatch phone number into your cell phone – (310) 825-1491
If confronted by a robber, UCLA PD suggests:
- Comply with the robber’s requests – your property is not worth your life.
- Obtain a detailed description of the suspect – take note of what stands out.
- Call 9-1-1 when you are safe.
If you have any information regarding this incident, please call the UCLA Police Department at (310) 825-1491, Refer to report # 12-0607. For more information on crime prevention and safety tips please visit the UCPD website at www.ucpd.ucla.edu