A kitchen fire today on the 19th floor of a residential building in the Westwood area seriously injured an 83-year-old woman, who suffered smoke inhalation.
Firefighters sent to the 800 block of Comstock Avenue at 10:33 a.m. on a report of smoke found that the kitchen fire had been extinguished by a building maintenance employee before they arrived, said Katherine Main of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Paramedics transported the woman to a hospital in serious condition, while crews worked to vent smoke from the building, Main said.
The woman, who lives in the building, apparently turned on the oven without realizing that paper and plastic items were being stored inside it, Main said. The resident's name was not released.
A damage estimate was not immediately available.